PTA Meeting Report

Jan 17 @ 8am
17 Jan 2017

President’s Report – 1/17 PTA Meeting

Thanks to all who attended our Jan PTA meeting–we would not have had quorum without you and I deeply appreciate your continued support!

In the President’s Message, I thanked Phyllis Fang for all of her efforts to making our transition to REC1 go smoothy for after-school session 2. The new $1000 TOW Alumni Scholarship is now posted at LBHS with a focus on volunteerism (especially to impact children and families). Bridget Porter (LBHS art teacher) is working on special assignment to connect TOW to art experiences within the community and it is going well. Fourth grade will do plein air paining tomorrow. Topper the Dolphin is now named and making his rounds into classrooms.

Mr. Conlon reported on the incident with the threat to the city council member and he is working with LBPD on monitoring the situation and is confident in their efforts to ensure safety for our students. He received a quote for the possible mural project for the handball backboards for $5,000 single sided and $8,500  double sided. We agreed that he would bring to Bridget Porter to see if she had any contacts in that area before we made a decision. He is also in the process of researching the WeatherBug product and will report back. Construction for replacing the portables and new music room will begin in the Spring. There will be temporary space set up for CLC on the tether ball courts for May-June with the goal of the project being complete by Sept. Part of that construction would also include the field being replaced with new irrigation and sod. Over winter break, new rubber cushioning and artificial turf was installed under both playgrounds, paid for by the district.

Treasurer Laura Jumani presented the Treasurer’s and Budget to Actual Reports. The mid-year audit report was completed and adopted by Auditor Aegea Lee.

The nominating committee was selected: Crystal Jerabek, Alex Cattan and Tiffany Frey. Aegea Lee will serve as the alternate. They will meet to select a slate of officers for next year that will be presented at the February meeting.

We had a discussion about Jogathon, which is coming up on Friday March 24. Chair Joana Diver is exploring using an outside vendor like Scholastic Challenge to help run/mange the event. We will make a decision and present in February. Corporate sponsorships are being solicited now. We decided to have 5th grade students submit artwork for the shirt and logo this year with following parameters: on white 8.5×11 paper, only 4 color max, containing “TOW Jogathon 2017.” 

Kelly Osborne reported on garden grants in progress.  We are on hold for the Whole Kids BeeCause grant, applied for the CA Fertilizer Foundation grant and a Whole Foods Community 5% Giving Day.

We hope you will all join us for our next meeting on Monday, February 13 at 8am in the MPR. The nominating committee will present the slate of officers.

Thanks,

Sarah Durand
TOW PTA President